Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book Club

My friends Marianne, Kara, Erin and I have embarked upon the journey of wading through the entire book list outlined in The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had. I typed up the book list here, if you would like to take a peek. I'm pretty enthused, but am imagining it will take about twenty years to get through the entire list, reading carefully and critically. First up- Don Quixote, which I somehow wriggled out of reading in both high school and college.

8 comments:

mom d. said...

WOW, I am surprised the Holy Bible did not make the list!
well, have fun, the list is very long.

shanna murray said...

Oh, I adore Don Quixote! I have a feeling you'll get really drawn in.

Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marianne said...

Well, at least we can plan on still being friends in 20 years. :) Come to think of it, I may still be reading DQ then.

Maybe we should invite Shanna to be in the book club to lead our first discussion. We'll all just go with you on your trip to see her.

Andi said...

This book looks fantastic - I am definitely going to have to order a copy. One of my favorite magazines, mental_floss, ran an article a few months ago that was entitled "25 Most Powerful Books of the Last 25 Years." It was really intriguing; I am working my way through those books. I can send you a scan of the article if you'd like.

Dana said...

Betsy-
I so wish I was there to join your book club. Sounds like great fun- enjoy!

Laurie M said...

I started whittling away at this list several years ago. I am still whittling away at this list--too many EASIER and sometimes more interesting books keep coming out. I read for fun mostly and isn't it wonderful when one of these "classics" turns out to be sort of like homemade pasta sauce? Yummy and really good for you too!

Chelsea said...

I have read another one of Bauer's books- The Well Trained Mind. It's all about a classical homeschool curriculum that is centered around a list like this.

I so want to read Don Quixote... one day. ;)